Thursday, February 11, 2010

High Places


I woke up one morning and was sitting straight up in bed. I had tears running down my cheeks and these words were on my lips; "I lift my eyes up to the mountains, where does my help come from? My help come from the Lord, Maker of heaven and earth." I knew two things the moment I opened my eyes and realized I was awake and not dreaming - one, God was with me and two, He was letting me know that He had everything planned out, that no matter what happened that day, He had it and me.

I called out to Doug and he and our daughter came into the room. Told them what had just happened and we all three prayed. I knew that what ever was coming was going to affect them as well and they needed to know that God is in control.

I won't tell you about that day right now, I am just not ready to put this into the printed word. Suffice it to know that it truly was a day that I needed God. He was with me the entire day. His peace surrounded me, His love overcame fear and overflowed and allowed me to minister to others. He opened doors and provision was given. He was with Doug and Elizabeth and gave them clear minds and hearts. And He provided peace for the long journey that was ahead of us.

One thing that comes to mind now is this: where does my help come from? The verse that was on my lips is Psalm 121. The very first words are, "I lift my eyes up to the mountains, where does my help come from?" I have had time to meditate on this and I know this; too often we look "up" to others to be our help. We look to our spouses, to our jobs, to our reputation. We look to our Pastors and teachers and mentors. We look to our friends and other family members. I know that before this day, I did all of that.

The Psalmist was not saying to look to the mountains because they remind us of God, but rather "I look to the high places, the old alters of my life and I know that my help is not going to come from those things. It is God, my Lord, the Creator of all things seen and unseen who will be my help." (my translation). In the time that this was written, idol worshipers built their alters on mountain tops, the high places. We still have high places in our lives today.

I have been discouraged lately. The job hunt has not been going well. God just reminded me this morning that I can not rely on what I know, all of my experience and expertise, the connections I have and my ability to network. My help will come from Him and Him alone. He may move a person to offer a job - but He is doing the moving and not me. I need to trust Him in this and to trust that He loves me and will provide.

The end of the story above is victory. I know that without a doubt - it has been promised.

As for the rest of the Psalm, it is wonderful. May it give you the peace that it gives me.

Psalm 121
A song of ascents.
1 I lift up my eyes to the hills—
where does my help come from?

2 My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

3 He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber;

4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

5 The LORD watches over you—
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;

6 the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.

7 The LORD will keep you from all harm—
he will watch over your life;

8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.


Father, thank You for reminding me of who I am and who You are. I do so often get ahead of You. You are my Savior and King and I praise You. Forgive me for putting trust in other things. I pull down any idol in my life that I have trusted more than you. I submit every area of my work experience to You and say, have Your way. I love you. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Very powerful words Terri. My Husband, Lloyd, is unemployed also. He has been since the end of September. He is getting very discouraged and almost in an funk this week. Thanks for the scripture and your words today.

    Take care and may God Bless you and your family,
    Gina Matt Langlinais

    ReplyDelete