Monday, February 8, 2010

Even When I Fall


I was reminded last night of a sight that I saw years ago.

As my husband and I were leaving church one Sunday, we were walking behind a couple who was letting their little one practice his walking. I watched as he tottered and fell time and time again. Each time he would boost his little bottom up in the air and get up and go. His Mom and Dad were right beside him, encouraging him, hands hovering close behind but always letting him learn how to get up and go.

I was touched then and now by that scene. It gave me a picture of how my God walks with me. Encouraging me, allowing me to fall, but always just a heart beat beside me, always with me. Letting me learn how to walk, learn from mistakes, but right there.

It made me look a little closer at how often when we fall do we feel that God is far away? We ask questions and strike out from our hearts wondering why He didn't stop us from stumbling. Why didn't God keep me from getting hurt?

I have no easy answers. I can however look back at the places and times I have stumbled and fell and know that by the Grace of God, I was strengthened by them. I would love it if I did not EVER fall, did not ever sin... and there is a promise that someday I will be able to be forever away from the presence of sin, forever in the presence of the ONE who is worthy of all Praise and Adoration. Until that time, I, like that little one, am walking forward.

I am on a life walk with the one who is my King, my Lord, my All. Yes, there was a day that I did bow my head and bend my knee and say "YES" to Him. But just like I once said said "yes" to my husband many years ago, I did not stay at the marriage alter and wave as he moved on and aged. I am walking with Jesus, today, yesterday, and am promised forever. I also know that because I am still a sinner, I will stumble and fall, and Jesus will still be there. He calls me His own, His beloved. I, like that child, have full trust in the One who guides me, loves me and is always here.

If the LORD delights in a man's way,
he makes his steps firm;

though he stumble, he will not fall,
for the LORD upholds him with his hand.
Psalm 37:23-24


Father, thank you for this wonderful journey that we are on together. I am ever filled with joy and love. Thank you that your forgiveness is complete and true, but that there is more than just that. I get to know You more and have Your peace surround me. Thank you...Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment