Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Coupon Wisdom


I was going through my purse the other day and came across several old coupons. They were wrinkled and wadded up. One was for $2.00 off a product, one was .50 and could have been doubled and the other was a .10 one that could have been tripled. I say could have because unfortunately all of them were expired.

I got to thinking about the words "value" and "redeem" and "worth" and "potential".

A coupon has a posted value printed on it's face. This value is a potential one that is not realized until it is redeemed and then it's full worth is realized in savings to the user.

Then it hit me, we are much like coupons...let me explain.

In God's eyes, He knows our value. He has identified our potential in His kingdom and has provided a way for every person to be redeemed. Our worth is realized when we realize our need for a Savior, are redeemed from the world, and the costs have been counted.

Let me break it down...

Valuable - "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Matthew 6:25-27"

Worth - God's word says, "Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Luke 12:5-7".

Potential The Word says, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:13-14".

Redeemed - "My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to you— I, whom you have redeemed. Psalm 71:23" and "1 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. Let the redeemed of the LORD say this— those he redeemed from the hand of the foe, Psalm 107:1-2"

So with the Word saying it - why do we have so much problem accepting how valuable we are to Him. Yes, some of us are a bit worse for the ware, frayed around the edges and run over by life. Some of us have old ads written on our backside that keeps showing through. However, as long as we are redeemed by our Creator before our expiration date, our value is realized for the glory of God.

That brings up the last point, we do have an expiration date. Unlike coupons, we do not know when that day is. Once it is past, you can not be redeemed and are forever away from the presence of God. Your value and potential for God's purpose in you is never achieved.

God has a greater purpose for each of us. There is no purpose too small that brings Glory to Him who created us. Everything we do points toward the event that all of time has been waiting for. Redeemed and unredeemed both will kneel and confess that He is Lord.

If you are redeemed and can say so - give a shout and say amen. If all of this is foreign and unknown, be encouraged. Because you are reading this, it is not too late. Simply pray, "Lord Jesus, I need You. I acknowledge I am sinner and that I need your forgiveness. Please save me. From this day forward I serve You as my Lord and King. Amen." If you prayed that prayer, call someone and let them know.

Be encouraged - God is good. His purpose and plans for us is good no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment