Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Four Year Old's Theology


Four year old Matthew, "Aunt Terri, why are you always singing?"
"Hmmmm, I sing because I'm happy." Smile on my face and look down at Matthew. I am at the sink washing dishes.
"Oh. Mmmmm, why are you happy?" Lips pursed together and looking up. Puzzled look on his face.
I look down at Matthew, stop what I'm doing and sit on the floor in front of him. "Honey, I'm happy because Jesus lives in me."
"Inside of you? Where?"
"In my heart?"
Matthew sits down in front of me. Puts his elbows on his knees and his chin on his little fists and looks intently at me. I can see him thinking, his mouth and cheeks moving as he processes. He sits up quickly.
"Aunt Terri?"
"Yes dear one."
"Can Jesus live in me too?"
"At the right time, when you understand what that means."
"But can I pray to Him now?"
I nod my head yes.
"Aunt Terri, but if He lives in me, won't He stick out all over the place? I'm little."
I pull Matthew up into my lap and give him a big hug.
"Yes, He certainly will"
Matthew squirms around and looks at me.
"Aunt Terri, can you tickle me?"
I wiggle my fingers at him and he starts squeeling with laughter and gets up and runs off.
"Jesus,"I pray, "Thank You for Matthew. Please stick out in me so that You always show. Thank You for letting me see that through the eyes of a four year old."

No comments:

Post a Comment