Friday, December 11, 2009

and Love One Another...



I like to read, so my favorite places to hang it is either a bookstore or the library. A while back, I walked into my favorite bookstore to browse through their sale racks. This particular store also had sheet music and a piano where people can play through their selections before they make a purchase.

On this day, there was gentleman sitting at the piano quietly playing. He was very intent on what he was doing.

I went back to the sales racks first to peruse through and then came and started looking at the new release sheet music. I smiled, greeted the gentleman and started to head for another section of the store. From behind me I hear, "Excuse me. Did you just say something to me?"

I turned and faced the man at the piano. I nodded my head yes.

He titled his head and intently looked at me with a puzzled look on his face. "You mean, you actually spoke to me?" I replied cautiously, "Yes, I said hello and how are you."

He smiled and then said, "I have been playing at this piano here every Tuesday now for almost 3 years. In all that time, you are the first person who has ever said a word to me. I am well. Thank you for asking." With that, he turned and looked back at the piano and started playing.

As I walked by him, he looked up. "Don't ever stop saying hello. We need to remember the "and Love One Another" bit and actually do it. Again, thank you. And by the way, Hello to you."

As I left the store, I reflected on my odd meeting with the pianist.

I thought of the times that I hurry through life and never slow down enough to even acknowledge another person, caught up in my own little world of this and that. God did create me as an individual, but He did not create me to be in my own little bubble of "Me World."

This memory is a shake can for me to say hello. To reach out to others, to help when the opportunity comes. To not be so self-involved that I miss the privileges that God brings to be His Hands in the world we live in.

So, in case I have not said it recently, "Hello. God really loves you and wanted me to tell you that. How can I help?"

John 34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

No comments:

Post a Comment